Pages

Wednesday 22 July 2020

SWCP Day 43: The end of the beginning

Other SWCP posts:

Introduction
Day 1: Minehead to Porlock
Day 2: Porlock to Lynton
Day 3: Lynton to Combe Martin
Day 4: Combe Martin to Mortehoe
Day 5: Rest day, Morte Point loop
Day 6: Mortehoe to Braunton
Day 7: Braunton to Westward Ho!
Day 8: Westward Ho! to Clovelly
Day 9: Clovelly to Hartland Quay
Day 10: Hartland Quay to Morwenstow
Day 11: Morwenstow to Bude
Days 12-14: Bude to Crackington Haven
Day 15: Crackington Haven to Tintagel
Day 16: Tintagel to Port Isaac
Day 17: Port Isaac to Padstow
Day 18: Padstow to Porthcothan
Day 19: Porthcothan to Crantock
Day 20: Rest day, Holywell bay loop
Day 21: Crantock to St Agnes
Day 22: St Agnes to Godrevy
Day 23: Godrevy point to St Ives
Day 24: St Ives to Pendeen Watch
Day 25: Pendeen Watch to Sennen Cove
Day 26: Sennen Cove to Lamorna
Day 27: Lamorna to Marazion
Day 28: Marazion to Porthleven
Day 29: Porthleven to Lizard Point
Day 30: Lizard Point to Coverack
Day 31: Rest day in Coverack
Day 32: Coverack to Maenporth


Day 43

Kingsand to Plymouth

Approx. 5 miles, 200m ascent

16,160 steps


Now my endpoint was going to be my sister’s house in Plymouth, I had just a few easy miles to do today to finish up my walk. I took my time packing up camp, then made use of the excellent campsite cafe for a very good breakfast before getting back to the path. I was still feeling 100% confident in my decision to finish at Plymouth, and the forecast for another scorching day certainly made my choice very easy.


The best breakfast

After breakfast I found my way back down the hill to join the path just east of Kingsand. The first section was through scrubby bushes on low cliffs, then I was soon under the trees on the outskirts of the estate of Mount Edgcumbe. The walking was pleasant in the shade of the trees, with views across Plymouth sound, and hints of what must have once been quite the aristocratic playground dotted along the path.


Across the Sound

Another scorching morning

Not far to go!

I was soon within the gardens of the estate, which are rather pleasingly free and open to the public. I wasn’t quite expecting formal gardens to be part of the coast path, just shows the variety of the walking! There were plenty of people enjoying the pretty and precisely maintained gardens, and I enjoyed an hour or so wandering round taking too many photos. An ice-cream eaten in the shade of the elegant orangery, and I found my way to the ferry point at Cremyll, past big groups of school kids making use of the wide lawns for outdoor activities. I’m sure the aristocrats that built the house and estate would be horrified at the crowds of ordinary people making use of it, but I was fully delighted by the prettiness of the place and the happy atmosphere.

Giant clams!
Cornish jungle
The orangery at Mount Edgcumbe
Cheerful planting

I took the short ferry ride across to Admiral’s Hard, with plenty of boat traffic for entertainment. I then just had a mile or two to walk through Plymouth, mostly through parks. The day was a very pleasant way to end my walk, and the final ferry ride was a good ending point. Plymouth would also be an easy place to pick up and finish the last 220 miles to Dorset.


Final Ferry

I had intended to complete the walk this Spring, but of course COVID-19 has completely turned the world on its head, and I wasn’t able to go. It has been a welcome distraction re-living my walk, and going back through all the photos. There are many places I can’t wait to revisit, and I definitely intend to complete the path next year. After that, perhaps all the way round the coast of the UK?!


Final stats:

Total days: 43

Rest days: 7

Total distance (approx. according to guidebook): 410.4 miles

Total ascent (approx. according to guidebook): 24,057 metres (nearly 3x Everest!)

Pizzas eaten: 4

Pasties eaten: Countless

Youth hostels: 3 (wish I had discovered them earlier!)

Hotel: 1 (Clovelly)

Campsites: 23

Spending: Approx. £30-£40 a day


Not the finishing photo yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, make a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.