Pages

Sunday 3 May 2020

SWCP Day 20: Hunting Roast Beast

Other SWCP posts:



Day 20

Rest day

Crantock to Holywell bay loop

Approx. 6.7 miles, 270m ascent

24,487 steps


With almost 200 miles done, I was due a rest day, and as the campsite near Crantock was really nice and also cheap, and had the full complement of laundry facilities, today was the day for it. I had a good lie in and then got all my laundry done in the morning sunshine, I even got some bonus time on the tumble drier as someone seemed to have left loads of time on the clock, win. I also worked on a fix for my walking boots. I gave them a good clean and re-waterproofed with Nikwax liquid, and stuck down the insoles with the glue I’d bought in Newquay. Fingers crossed the fix would work as I didn’t want to have to buy new boots! I knew that cheap Regatta boots were a bit of a gamble when I set out, but having had the same brand before I knew they would fit well out of the box with minimum time to break them in, and I hoped they would at least last the 630 miles of the path. It was also probably my lazy lack of maintenance that had damaged them; I resolved to look after them better for the rest of the walk.

I had a good lunch at the campsite cafe, excelling myself with a big sausage roll followed by an excellent cream tea, then napped for too long in the afternoon sunshine, only waking up when the breeze got up and the sun disappeared. Feeling rather groggy I decided to head out for a walk around the headland for some fresh air and to chop off a bit of the route for the following day. I also needed to find somewhere for dinner, as I’d disappointingly missed the cutoff for ordering the campsite Sunday roast dinner. The idea of a roast had been put in my head though, so I hoped I could find a decent local pub.

Pentire Point West
Looking back to Polly Joke

I rejoined the coast path at West Pentire, and made my way around the headland to Porth Joke (locally called Polly Joke). There were plenty of weekend walkers out and about, and kids body-boarding in the small waves in the bay. On top of the hills there were several fields of bright red and yellow poppies, giving lovely colour to the scene. I followed the path round to the big expanse of sand at Holywell, the stormy skies looking very atmospheric above the big Gull’s rocks out in the bay. I then went on the hunt for some dinner, starting at the pub in Holywell, which unfortunately wasn’t serving evening food. After a rather expensive half-pint, I headed back up the hill to Crantock, getting rather lost across the dunes and golf course on Cubert Common. I was beginning to hate sand dunes!

Stormy skies 
Atmospheric
Holywell bay
I found the pub in Crantock, very disappointingly no roast in the evenings, so I had to settle for a mediocre burger, some food at least! I made my way back to the campsite, finding some pretty gardens to admire as I made my way back to the village. Back to it properly tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, make a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.