Pages

Tuesday 19 May 2020

SWCP Day 25: Summer holidays

Other SWCP posts:


Day 25

Pendeen Watch to Sennen Cove

Approx. 9.1 miles, 510m ascent

26,927 steps


I decided on quite a short section for the day, as my sister and her family would be coming to camp with us for the weekend, and we planned to have a barbecue and possibly some beach time in the afternoon. The grandparents had relocated the caravan whilst I was walking the previous day, to a site a bit further west and more convenient for my next few days of walking. It was another lovely small site on a farm, with some friendly neighbours who were living in their bell tent for the summer. It was still a bit of a drive though back to Pendeen, so Grandad and I got quite a prompt start so I could be done at a sensible time.

Pendeen watch lighthouse, deep morning shadows

I rejoined the path by the lighthouse at Pendeen, in some lovely bright morning sunshine, although I quickly had damp feet as there was quite a bit of dew on the long grass. The route today would be through mining country, first passing through the vast old Levant mine, with various buildings and structures littering the landscape, then passing by the old engine houses at Botallack, and various mine shafts and other signs of Cornwall’s industrial past.

Industrial landscape
Aesthetically pleasing though!

The terrain was fairly easy-going, with a lot fewer boulders to negotiate compared to the previous day. The sun soon heated things right up though, and with barely a breeze it was an extremely warm day for walking, especially with hardly a tree in sight on this exposed Atlantic coast. A couple of dips down into some sweltering valleys, and I made it to beautiful Cape Cornwall. I had been looking forward to this part of the coast, as I had visited previously and really loved this glorious headland. It is such a peaceful spot, especially compared to the tacky chaos of Lands End just a few miles away, and now in sight. Thankfully the little cafe was open, so I enjoyed a cold drink and some cake, plus a nice bit of shade tucked into the building.

Lovely Cape Cornwall
House goals

From Cape Cornwall, a couple more miles in the baking sun, looking out to the very tempting turquoise sea below. I think I spent most of the next section fantasising about the ice-cream I intended to find at Sennen, and barely paying much attention to the path, as it was easy walking. At Nanjulian cliff I came back to attention as the boulders reappeared so there was a little exciting scrambling to break up the day. 

Crystal clear water 
Nothing but ocean to America

Not long after that the path found Gwynver beach, with plenty of sunbathers and surfers enjoying the glorious weather. The tide was quite far in so I took the high path along the back of the beach, and was pleased with my choice when I was some walkers with very wet trousers trying to find their way through the rocks below. The path dropped down again to the sands of Sennen Cove, and I was soon enjoying an ice-cream on the seafront while I waited for my Grandad.

A little terrain-based excitement
Sennen in sight
I’d finished walking by early afternoon, so we had a lovely afternoon back at Gwithian beach (dog-friendly!), and I finally had a proper sea swim, the shallow sea being much warmer than where I had dipped my toes in at Pendeen. A barbecue and a hectic few hours entertaining my nephew, and it really felt like a lovely holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, make a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.