Friday, 24 January 2014

Tasty Broccoli and Egg Tart



Food! This broccoli and egg tart was a really easy and tasty dinner for this week, and as I used pre-rolled pasty, super-lazy! Loosely inspired by the recipe here, This is an infinitely adaptable recipe, and a nice alternative to pizza, although much the same concept.






I'll give you a basic recipe, but you can put on any topping really!

Ingredients for mine:
pack of pre-rolled puff pastry
1 head of broccoli
1 avocado
1 yellow pepper
1 medium red onion
roughly 100g goats cheese
3 eggs
Wholegrain mustard

Spread out the pastry on to a baking sheet, prick with a fork and blind bake for 10 mins.

Meanwhile, boil the broccoli until cooked to how you like it.

Fry the onions until softened and add the yellow pepper and cook for a couple of mins, then stir in a teaspoon of mustard.

Once everything is cooked, spread the onion mix onto the pastry, then pile of the broccoli, avocado and cheese. Try to leave wells for the eggs. Crack the eggs into the gaps, then bake the whole thing for another 10 mins or so, until the eggs are cooked to your liking.

I had it with salad and yoghurt on the first day, then baked beans the next!

What would you put on yours? :)

Saturday, 18 January 2014

A Wintertime Dorset

I had a lovely Christmas in Dorset, doing the rounds visiting lots of my family. The rain did its level-best to interrupt the festivities, but at least the sun shone a little, and we even had a bit of frost. I would rather snow or sunshine than rain, but I think beauty can be found in anything, if you look hard enough. I am looking forward to the days getting longer though so I can get out and get some more pictures!








Thursday, 9 January 2014

The Moronic Cushions

Hope everyone had a good new year! I just wanted to tell you about a Christmas present project that rescued my ego, after I had a moment of idiocy when making the wedding quilt! I managed to cut the strips for the star at the wrong angle, so the every single one was the wrong size and shape! Luckily I just had enough fabric to redo the quilt, but it left me with a big pile of misshapen strips. I didn't want to waste the lovely expensive quilting cotton, so I sewed the strips together and hey presto, made some cushion covers!

I added some extra fabric to the edges of the diamond strips, then quilted as normal. I then used the quilted square for the front of the cushions, with a simple overlapped back out of some striped stash fabric. I think they came out pretty well, out of disaster can come success :)